When you purchase poppets from my website, they are charged and ready to go– all that’s left is for you to add a ‘personal’ touch with a photo, a lock of hair, a signature, etc. But did you know that there is a ritual to ‘breathe them to life’ ? Well there is, and I’m passing one on to you which I wrote myself. It would be preferable to work this magic within a cast circle. If you aren’t a practiced occultist, know that this ritual is not a requirement– but I won’t tell you that it doesn’t make a difference, because it sure can.
Assemble those items that correspond to the four elements– a bowl of water, a lit candle, an incense of your choice, and a bowl of salt.
1. Cast your circle & call the quarters.
2. Have your altar prepared, the color of your altar cloth, the herbs and stones present all corresponding to your intentions.
3. Upon this altar place the items belonging to the elements.
4. Take a few moments to ground yourself, to gather your energy, to fill your mind and this magical space with your intentions for this poppet.
5. Lay the doll upon the altar.
For the element of Earth:
Take a handful of salt and sprinkle it across the figure, saying:
“I infuse you with Earth, that you feel physical touch.”
For the element of Air:
Take the doll in your hands and hold it in the smoke of the incense, turning it, moving it, that it is consumed with the smoke, saying:
“I infuse you with Air, that you think.”
For the element of Fire:
Lay the doll upon the altar once more and hold the burning candle above it, saying:
“I infuse you with Fire, that your passion be unquenchable and you feel the heat of my fury (or love, hate, etc.)”
For the element of Water:
Dip your right hand into the bowl of water and sprinkle the water upon the poppet as it lay on your altar, saying:
“I infuse you with Water, that your emotions be overwhelming.”
6. Leave the poppet lay on the altar. Take a deep breath and slowly lean over it, until you hover above it’s mouth, your own lips almost touching it. Exhale now, allow your breath to escape from your body in one long warm draught of air. And this breath shall enter the poppet and give it life.
7. Open your circle, dismiss the quarters. Do with the poppet what you must, according to your intentions.